Sunday, September 25, 2011

An Evening With Primus!

This past Friday I attended a concert for a band I have never seen before, Primus. I had had plans in the past to see them, however they were always trumped by more important issues. Having been a Primus fan for a few years, it was great to finally see them live.

Like most established bands do for live shows, they mixed visual art and music. Behind their booming and shredding there was footage of old cartoons such as Popeye intermixed with psychedelic patterns, old nature show footage, and footage from what appeared to be old Drive-in horror movies.

The heat in the venue was overwhelming. Combined with the sea of people sweating, the air was pudding. Breathing among the crowd was difficult, yet that added to the experience.

After the show ended, I scooted out of the theater as quick as possible hoping for the outside air to refresh me. In order to recuperate and reflect back on the experience I opted to walk home rather than ride the train. The elation after seeing that show stayed with me the entire night, and entertained me during the walk home. I kept hearing the drums pounding in my skull, accented by the shredding guitar and the left-wise basslines. I kept replaying Les Claypool's last solo over and over in my head as it was a medley of several songs that were played throughout the night.

After I arrived home I went straight to my guitar and started slapping it until my hands were sore. Afterwards I watched cartoons and did scratchy doodles of things that popped in my head. Oh, and I drank Harpoon IPA... Never had it before, huge fan now.

No comments:

Post a Comment