Monday, March 4, 2013

Adult Dodge Ball

I am isolated. I sit in my office which is a 7 foot cube with a window staring at my computer screen. I'm usually unable to do anything about it. It's just my style.

So today when my room mate came home and invited me out to play dodgeball with grown adults I was hesitant at first. Why leave my office when I can play dodgeball on my PC. Also, who's gonna get drunk on all the beer in my fridge if I'm not there to drink it? Well I got a wild hair up my ass decided why not head on down to play some dodge balls with ol' Nick the roomy.

So we arrive at 8:45pm. This seemed a rather odd time to go about playing dodge ball. The last time I played I had to be in bed by 9. It never occurred to me that people would take dodgeball as seriously as they were. What followed kept me smiling from ear to ear the entire night.

After we got there my roommates friend de-briefed us on what we needed to accomplished during each round of dodgeball. With our objectives firmly in place we confidently strode out onto the mat looking as manly as you can in socks and your old high school gym shorts.

Actually that was partly a lie. I wasn't wearing shorts, I was wearing my old nylon gym pants from high school. These things are cheesy and even have my name written on the front tag so I don't lose them. They're a deep maroon with a navy and white racing stripe on each side. There is one lonely pocket on my right butt cheek. They're very utilitarian and lack any pussy magnetism.

As we stood confidently on the side lines, I was impressed by the sheer competitiveness some of the players demonstrated. Their go big or go home attitude really made watching the game fun. The atmosphere was friendly, though. You wouldn't be able to notice it when they were throwing those nerf balls at break neck speeds.  I sucked, by the way.

Everyone played and rotated. It was a fun atmosphere and made you feel young. I was brought back to adulthood when someone mentioned going to the bar. I hate the bar.

I met a lot of people tonight which was a nice change of pace. I usually stay home in my nest squawking at comments in subreddits. Today I got to talk to people with faces. The real world isn't so scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment