Friday, October 28, 2011

Why Do We Cry?

Everybody, whether they like to admit it or not, has probably shed or choked back tears in the past year. Whether or not any one saw you do it ultimately depends on where you were, and if you wanted to be seen. I've often wondered why we cry, more particularly, why do our faces contort, why do our throats close, and why do we shed tears?

I read an interesting article today by NPR that explained the evolutionary benefits of crying. It went on to explain that it may have served to signal other humans that there was something wrong without giving away that you're in distress to nearby predators. It also went on to explain that natural selection probably favored babies that cried the loudest because it was unlikely that they would be left behind or lost.

The article also went on to explain (much to common knowledge) that tears elicit emotional responses from humans. Whenever you see someone crying you are likely to ask what's wrong or if you are crying someone is likely to try and console you. It also works to signal that "you've beaten me, back off, you win".

I know people who use tears to their advantage. These people are usually liars, and will con people by manipulating emotions. A certain relative of mine (as well as some...we'll call them business associates) is well known for this, and despite the knowledge that she will cry to get what she wants --everyone always caves. She has two kids now, is older than me, and it pisses me off to no end...but I digress. That's not to say I don't love her (she's pulled it on me before... I put her in her place) but she is an excellent example of people using basic human emotions to manipulate others into gaining what they want. As terrible as it may sound, this is not too far off from advertising. We can use emotions as a call to action to trigger a desired response. Maybe this is why people are always saying my cousin and I are two sides of the same coin.

No comments:

Post a Comment